View Single Post
Old 16-03-2022, 01:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Defenders of religion might say that religion is an effort to expand or extend the family.
In that sense, the 'family' can only be expanded under a symbolic umbrella and has nothing real to define it. Real family is defined by bloodlines which integrate as the children of each generation incorporate additional ancestral lines. One family sees itself as the same as other families because the criteria for identity and belonging is based on real things (notwithstanding adoptions). Therefore, no externalised contrast is required for me to know I am in this family and not that family. I know where I stand in relation to other family members through knowledge of ancestry.

A religion claiming to extend a family is disingenuous because there is no bloodline to substantiate it. We tend to dilute the meaning of the word 'family' so it depends on the connotation. I have seen companies referring to their staff as 'family' , but really we should understand that the root of the word 'family' pertains to blood relations. Other than that, it has no basis in reality and is naught but a story.

Last edited by Gem : 16-03-2022 at 05:02 AM.