View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioma
For a 'spiritual' forum I've seen a LOT of disparagement of the 'New Age'. Why is that? What do you think New Age is?

In every age of great activity in human history there has been a "new group" and an "old group".

The tendency of the old group is to say "the new one is too young to know what they are talking about, we have stood the test of time, we know what we are talking about".

And the tendency of the new group is the attitude of the rebel, it often suggests we challenge what we have come to accept as true. it challenges dogmas.

From what I've heard about new age beliefs is they are a conglomeration of beliefs and ideas that began in the early 20th century and came from a few influential thinkers at that time. One of the big ones I hear is carlos castenada. I guess a lot of new age beliefs are derived from his writings.

One big complaint I hear is that the new age beliefs are not structured. Religion is highly structured.

many people who turn to new age and enjoy it's lack of structure are people who have been wronged in some way by religion.