View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
What? You don't want to fight about words?
“What is the good of words if they aren't important enough to quarrel over? Why do we choose one word more than another if there isn't any difference between them? If you called a woman a chimpanzee instead of an angel, wouldn't there be a quarrel about a word? If you're not going to argue about words, what are you going to argue about? Are you going to convey your meaning to me by moving your ears? The Church and the heresies always used to fight about words, because they are the only thing worth fighting about.”
― G.K. Chesterton

ketzer,

As much as I like Chesterton(I quote him frequently) I will use these words as words of caution. Words are fine if they are used in intellectual discussion. With the proper audience they can lead to a progression of discourse. In the absence of these guidelines they can lead to an elevation of hate and anger. This is to the benefit of no one. Current politics are a good example. I tell my wife no political signs in my front yard. It is guaranteed to gain the ire and disdain of 50% of those who view them. Suddenly you have neighbors that will no longer speak to you....:) My grandmother frequently quoted from Proverbs...."A soft word turneth away wrath". She had 9 children and peace in the family was of value to her...:)