View Single Post
Old 20-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
If I was you I'd get some decent info on what you can use to safely watch it with.
We had a full eclipse in the 90s and all kinds of nonsense was said that should be safe, but it wasn't. Some ppl went blind.
Not even a normal, regular welding glass (one that sits in those visors) is strong enough to protect your eyes. You couldn't get any anymore that were strong enough, totally sold out.
So a mere box... I wouldn't go there. If you haven't got decent protection, just feel the energies, the overall changing light, but do not look at the sun.
If you want to watch it and haven't got proper protection, watch it online. At least then you're sure you'll still have healthy eyes afterwards.

Hey Fairy. I would never let my kids out, I mentioned earlier ( in one of these threads) they are watching via live stream. I just found the video humorous is all, its viral with the US parenting community. I know you mean well though, as it should be taken very serious.

My children's school is taking serious precautions tomorrow, we won't be able to pick them up without a 'number ticket' and honestly, still debating if I am even going to take them, and just let them have a day off.

The box is a fun science outdoors project. It doesnt require you to look at the sun at all. You only see the shadow of the eclipse inside the box( looking down with eyes on box, like a projector not at sun). We did one back in middle school from our last eclipse, it was super cool. However, even with glasses, I wouldn't feel comfortable looking up at the sun tomorrow, I may take a few quick glances with glasses, but no way am I going to watch the whole thing, I want to keep my eyes LOL. The thought alone appears freighting which is why I feel the box ( with glasses) would be an easier experience... I def want to feel my surroundings too that day which is a much more important deal to me than seeing, I may even meditate ( eyes closed, heh) during a portion of it.. who knows