View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kine Lea
I was wondering what type of radio is used. Does it also receive terrestrial radio transmission, ie ordinary radio stations?

On Wikipedia there is some information on the Frank Sumption radio - a white noise sweep across the AM band that collects split second snippets of EVP! White noise is not the only colour. There is also pink, blue, violet, and even grey. And various other types, like shot noise etc...
In electronic production music (Audio Editing Software) there is a neat trick to separate vocal content from a song. If a karaoke version of the song is laid precisely along side the original song and played with one track inverted, ie with a 180 degree phase shift, then the music will cancel each other out leaving the vocals intact, as the remainder.

... just a few thoughts on the subject.
It is a usual superheterodyne receiver that has the 'scanning button' set to constantly scan the stations at an incredible rate with white noise between the stations.

Any old radio can be modified and used - especially Radio Shacks, Sony Walkmans and Memorex...anything that has white noise between stations and a scanning button. All you need to do is open the case and disconnect the 'mute' tuning switch so it constantly scans when turned on.

I've even got replies through my old clock radio once via manual tuning.

I haven't tried it with pink noise or any other type, but there are ghost boxes out there that have 'sound banks' and pink noise...but those sound banks are rigged, I swear - the number of times certain words get repeated by the same voice like "angel" and "UFO" and "devil" - it's like it has been pre-programmed to reply using the most relevant words.

The P-SB7/11 and the Sangean and Radio Shack hacks do not have these 'sound banks' within the white noise.

Any ghost box with a 'sound bank' I won't use.

Thank for explaining how Karaoke works and how sound waves cancel each other out if placed at 180 degrees to each other. I learned something new.