View Single Post
Old 27-04-2011, 12:12 PM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
Right, though now we get into the tricky question of just what "you" means in this context. "You" seems to include everything associated with your individual psyche, such as your memories, personality, character, etc. However, does "you" include awareness? Do we "own" our awareness like personal property, or like an eternal soul? Certainly, we are aware, but awareness arises in us while we live, and in others after we are dead.

Like I said in an earlier post, I am not speaking about a point-of-awareness in terms of anything like a personality, character, memories, etc. These are all mutable. These can all radically transform while the "I" remains rather static. There is clearly no fixed personality. For instance, earlier in life you may have been very negative and had a bitter personality. Later in life, you may have had an experience that changed your personality. The old personality is gone (dead) yet you have lived on. The sense of "I" as point-of-awareness (distinct from others' awarenesses) has remained intact regardless of how one's personality, character, emotion, body, opinions, etc dissolve away and become something different.

Quote:
If we are not asking if our personalities survive death, but if awareness survives death, it may be that awareness does "continue" in the sense that it continues to be generated elsewhere.

As I've said, you can still have a sense of "I" even if your personality changes radically. If you decide to completely turn your life around in terms of how you interact with people, the old "you" is gone. That personality is dead, yet you continue to live on. It all happened quite seamlessly for you. Awareness did not temporarily drop off from that loss of the old personality and remain suspended, waiting to arise when the new personality was fully formed. The sense of "I", of a continuation of awareness, remained intact.

If awareness is generated elsewhere after death and is not experienced, just as you don't experience another's awareness, then the results are the same as utter annihilation. In practice, whether your awareness is obliterated or becomes something that is not experienced, the end of experience is the end result. Nothingness would be each of our ends. Not an experience of nothingness, as though that is some sort of experience. Just nothingness, period.

Quote:
And I'm assuming here that awareness is not an entity like a soul, but is created in every new moment.

If it is created in every moment, then you are dying and being reborn in every moment. Yet, what is reborn is not something you don't experience, like another person's awareness. It remains "your" awareness, so to speak.