View Single Post
Old 23-01-2018, 03:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiegirl
I have some native American heritage in my family from Kentucky and there's this thing that's been passed down every other generation. It's a mantra or chant or something like that (I don't know what to call it) that someone says to stop someone else from bleeding if they're bleeding a lot. I know that the rule is that it can only be passed down every other generation and the gender has to switch. My great-grandfather taught it to my mother, who has it written down somewhere. I don't know it myself, but if I have a boy, then she's supposed to teach it to him, who will then teach it to his own granddaughter and so on. I just think it's a really interesting tradition.

Hi rosiegirl,

So your Ancestor’s bloodstopping skill came purely from your Amerind side?

Interesting.

You are not a mixed Amerind-Finnic person?

It is just, because bloodstopping was/is one of the most typical skills our (Finnic) Shamanic healers had/have.
It is a spell, a kind of a “poem” you recite.
I have got the spell (somewhere), but the skill (beyond the spell) has to be transmitted from the Healer to the Apprentice who is showing talent for it for the poem/spell to actually work.
Skipping the generation and gender – I think that might be right for us as well – thanks for the reminder.

The old versions of our spells did not have Biblical references, but because the Russian Orthodox Church & Native (Shamanic) beliefs mixed quite harmoniously in the past – the newer versions of the spells did sometimes refer to the Bible verses.

Of these bloodstoppers I have got accounts from my contemporaries, but the skills to shape-shift into a bear or a wolf (with the bare bones of how to do it) is something the old people only talked about.

Couple of links about these:
https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/4447.htm

http://www.historyinanhour.com/2014/...per-peninsula/

Last edited by sentient : 23-01-2018 at 07:23 AM.