View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Actually.. what I want is an end to large scale animal farming and chickens be put in gardens. If roosters can’t live together then some should be set free in the wild. This to me, is the best solution. Roosters may also actually live together and establish hierachy. Don’t let popular pit rooster fights cloud your views on the whole species. Chickens are very well behaved if raised properly, which usually does not happen.

When I say technology I’m thinking about a situation where gardens aren’t an option.. Of course this depends on our wants as consumers. But selecting for females would be ethically less harmful than sending most males to the slaughterhouse..

I think we need to re-prioritise education so children learn how to grow things and look after chooks etc along the lines of permaculture gardening. I envisage school yards being permaculture gardens that largely self-sustain. Children could take excess food home to their families and the parents could be actively involved in this sort of 'food education' as well.

It would go a long way to establishing healthy eating patterns in the young ones as they learn the nutrient content of different foods, and also help to lift up the health of the whole community.