View Single Post
Old 24-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Knower

The quote that underlies the notion sinful pride is Prov.16:18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall". As I understand it, the idea is that pridefulness, i.e. thing more of oneself than justifiable, which is another way of saying egocentrically, stands in opposition to the virtue of humility. Pride, therefore, prevents the believer from entering into communion with God.

Historically, the Seven Deadly Sins originated as a gloss on Galatians 5:19-21 by John Casssian in the 4th century c.e., at a time when early Christianity was defining itself. I think Cassian was adding to the development of a new doctrine in the wake of the separation of the Christian sect from Rabbinical liturgy and the establishment of Christianity as the new state religion of Rome by Theodosius I.

So the importance of Pride as a sin is the result of centuries of discourse by theologians and church leaders. Its up to the individual to decide whether the accept the doctrine or to explore for one's self how it effects one's own relationship with God.