View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 09:07 PM
Newbie ;)

How can I protect myself from this energy drain?

Hi, It's been a while since I've been on here, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I work in a caring role and I think I've always naturally picked up on people's energies. It's been more of a help than a hinderance, although has occasionally left me feeling drained. It's always something I've been able to manage.

There is one particular person I work with though, who seems to leave me feeling particularly drained. I've worked with them for over a year now and it has always had this effect on me.

I have to see them for a couple of hours a week and the impact on me is so great that I can't find an explanation for it, or a way to resolve it.

After seeing this person, I'm completely physically exhausted, despite the fact that I only have to sit and support them. By the time I get home, I'm so weak that on a couple of occasions by legs have buckled. I'm shaky, and all I want to do is sleep. I can't do that because I have kids to look after but I'm not much use.

The other strange part is that after a few hours, I start to feel better. I'm still tired until I've had a nights sleep but I'm no longer as drained as when I first leave. I'm actually starting to wonder whether some of my tiredness that lingers through the week is related to this same person too. The week is considerably harder when I have to see them more than once.

I've tried to look at every other possibility. I have a lot of responsibilities and I'm often tired, but even after a good night's sleep, I still feel as drained when seeing this person. I eat enough, although sometimes I'd say the feeling is similar to low blood sugar. It's just that I don't get this from anyone else. I've done this job for many years and never felt like physically tired and weak.

The person in question doesn't stand out from other people I work with. They are not the most challenging. There isn't anything triggering about them that I can think of.

I'm praying someone here might have some insight and ways that I can protect myself because it feels like they're draining me to the point that I can't function. It's got to a point where I'm considering leaving my job.