Thread: King Ravana
View Single Post
Old 26-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
You left out the part where Ravana was cursed for raping one too many women. His punishment was that he would die immediately if he ever tried raping another woman again. That is why he did not touch Sita.

Rama then still rejected her once she was freed, as just being in the presence of another man was an unforgivable offence in his eyes, she was contaminated spiritually just by being in the same room as Ravana. So, she committed suttee, to the satisfaction of everyone involved, because apparently burning yourself alive is better than having another man take a peek at you. I fail to see the morality in the story. It's just effed up...
Namaste.

The reason I left out that part you mentioned, is because I was not aware of it..however, in regards to your second point, I heard it differently.

It is said that after Sita returned from Lanka, Rama did indeed reject her for all those reasons you mentioned..however, it was more of a "trial by fire" rather than Sita committing Sati and dying.

Rama wanted to test Sita's chastity and spiritual purity by subjecting her to the "fire test"..if she got burned and died, she was impure, but if the fire couldn't touch her and she walked away unscathed, she was beyond accusation and reproach..for even a fire cannot burn the truth.

As it happened, Sita walked into the fire and the fire immediately went out and she walked away...upon which they returned to Ayodhya and lived happily ever after.