View Single Post
Old 30-04-2017, 04:56 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony c
Hi there

I have just started yoga and i love it!!! I love it so much that i want to do it everyday. This morning i got a very big and sore cramp, not sure if it's from yoga though but made me think maybe i was pushing it to hard doing it very day.

How may times a week should you do yoga or is there no set rule??

Thanks

Hi Anthony. I try to practice it at least 3 times a day, in the morning, when I get home from work, and at night before I go to bed. That might sound like a lot, but I don't do anything rigorous, and I only do it for about 5 minutes (15 total minutes per day).

The soreness could be due to any number of reasons. Your probably holding the Asana for long or short periods of time and breathing in it. I do it differently. What I like to do is hold the Asana for about 5 to 10 seconds and just take one breath or no breath, depending on the Asana. If I do take a breath, it's always an Inhalation breath.

Part of what's causing the soreness is that your body is stretched or tense when you exhale the breath of air. So just remember this general rule:

Body in stretched or tense position - Inhale
Body in relaxed position - Exhale

However, that depends on the Asana. Certain Asana's like Cobra, you want to keep the breath still even though the body is stretched. But Don't practice that one for now because it does stretch the solar plexus. The best one to start with is downward dog. Begin by sitting on your knees so that your body is relaxed and exhale the air out of your lungs. Then perform the Asana. While in the Asana, with the tailbone stretched upward, slowly Inhale a breath of air through the nose. Then move back to sitting on your knees to exhale the breath of air. Then you can repeat the process, and maybe do it for a total of 3 or 4 times.

I prefer to close my eyes when I practice the Asana's. And remember what I mentioned to you about "direction." That applies too. I'll try to mention some other Asana's later. Or you can tell me the ones your doing, and I'll offer whatever help or input I can.