View Single Post
Old 13-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
Hi again,
thanks for trying it out.
i don't know how much practice it could take for different individuals with the right method. And i almost always combine it with listening. ...

And don't try and do it like meditation, it's just a minute (to start with). Just enough to bring any focussed activity in balance and make it safe.

i didn't start with the two eye method, and i never exerimented with it, it just seems the easiest way to start ... but i think a variety of methods may be best.

It would make this post too long to explain how i started, but that is on howtobenow.online/2020/mobile/1_seeing-listening.html ... and all the following ideas come from there.

I've tried to pick out the best ideas, but if you're in lockdown most will be hard do. ... do you wear glasses or contact lenses? - the rims of glasses make it difficult ...

People often spontaneously experience a short moment of broadband seeing, looking into the distance with a landscape or seascape - so a panorama is the most natural stimulus.

It helps if there is a monotonous wall straight in front, anything which has no focal point.

Ideal is to lie down in the centre of a clearing in the woods, look at a clear sky, and watch the leaves on the trees moving all around the peripheries.

A good idea to achieve a degree of success, is it go somewhere where lots is happening, sit outside where cars and people are moving - by the street or in a pedestrian zone, ...

Look upwards where nothing's moving, find a roof top chimney pot to focus on, but then look at the people, push-bikes and cars which are passing by in the bottom half of your field of vision. Notice when new objects come into your field of vision - follow them till they are out of sight.

Then look down at the pavement, or your knees, and 'massage' the upper half of your field of vision.

Another good idea is, sitting in a train, facing in the direction of travel, focus on something infront, and then watch the world going by on both sides.

---
The first main benefit is that it stops or slows down all the pointless abstract thought and i'm now ... i need to qualify that : The religious experience of eternity is often connected with some awesome mind blowing sense of being now, - but it's not the simple sense of now which every animal has.

It difficult to summarise the benefits in a sentance or two - but they are similar to any method of meditation or prayer, the main difference is that this is a direct and natural way, and it's reliable, and i reckon it could be combined with - and is best combined with - any focussed method.

I'll give it a go. Not sure when though. Thanks for explaining.