View Single Post
Old 19-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Knower

See, that's one of the fears that I have, as identified in my opening post in the Welcome thread. I don't like the idea if ceasing to be & never ever experiencing life again.

As has been commented upon, people argue against the fear of non existence by saying 'it's the same as before you were born, you didn't know anything then..so why worry?'...well, in my mind it's like someone walking up to you, giving you £1m and then an hour later telling you that they made a mistake and it wasn't yours. As you have spent time with the gift, of life, you appreciate it and want to hold on to it that much more. Before you were given it, you didn't know either way, it's the gifting that changes everything!

The idea that all I know, everyone I know, will have it's end date at some point is extremely scary.

For a while, I would watch time pass by so quickly and be terrified as I knew that..if years could pass by as quickly as they seem to...before long, I'd be in this oblivion. I'm 35 now, yet I remember well parts of my life from when I was 5. That was 30 years ago!! If 30 years happens again that quickly, I'll be 65, my parents will be gone, everyone around me will be going...and that's if I even make 65, no guarantees of that. I have been jealous of young people for their youth. I've hated looking back at my past and realising that such a big chunk, my youth, has gone.

I then see the events of the World, all the struggles that people endure. The needless violence and killings, the suffering that many contend with every day. And I think how cruel & vindictive life really is.

I hope for an afterlife but, for me, all it is is a fairy tale to comfort people ahead of their departure from this World. I'm yet to experience any personal event which could force my beliefs to change. And so people telling me all their stories is as convincing as someone telling me that there's £1m under my mattress. I'd love it to be true but it doesn't mean that it is true.