Thread: Losing Weight
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Master
Looking at the whole spectrum of life, starting with oneself, eating doesn't have a lot to do with ones 'spiritualism', and I know there are those who claim that veganism is 'higher evolved' (or something like that), and there are dietary protocols in all the religions: kosher, halal, vegetarianism and so forth, but these are not strategies for body re-composition.

The religious and ethical motives concerning food set up respective frameworks within which a way of eating that results in a lower body fat percentage can be achieved, but regardless of any respective framework, the one and only way body weight can be reduced is consuming fewer calories that you expend.

A calorie is a unit of energy, so when we talk of calories, we are talking about how much energy is taken in by the body and/or how much energy the body burns through activity, and this raises the most basic and most important consideration: what am I eating, and what am I doing?

This brings us to what is called a 'calorie balance' (or 'energy balance'). Calorie balance is, simply: calories in minus calories out. If the sum of these is a negative number, the body becomes lighter in weight over time. If the sum is positive, the body gets heavier.

That's why, where body composition goals are concerned, the foremost consideration is calories (specifically, calorie balance). Not that every strategy for weight loss would involve counting calories. A negative calorie balance can be achieved in less rigourous ways such as portion control, restricting calorie dense foods, intermittent fasting, increasing calorie burning activity and so on - there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

The first popular myth is, "calories don't count", when in fact, as far as weight loss alone is concerned, only calories count (in-so-far as a negative calorie balance is essential for losing weight). The second myth is, "Not all calories are the same". In fact, a calorie is a unit of energy and a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. What the quoted is trying to say is, calories come from different nutrients (the macronutrients): protein, carbohydrates and fats. The body processes these nutrients differently, and it goes without saying that not all nutrients are the same. All calories are the same. Nutrients are not the same.

Any person with body re-composition aspirations has to first become conscious of what they are consuming by recording every morsel that goes into their mouth. Not trying to change anything - only taking note of where they are at. There are apps which work very well, and the two I have tested are "My Fitness Pal" and "Cronometer" (I personally prefer "Cronometer"). Either app is excellent for keeping track of food intake, will give you your daily nutrient and calorie goals, and tell you the calories and nutrients of the food you eat.

I hope this clarifies a couple of things, and debunks a couple of nutritional myths.

My basic message amounts to: 1) Calories count and; 2) Use an app to help you become aware what you eat.

Cheers