View Single Post
Old 18-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
It's funny seeing ancient writers struggle with communicating truths with language as I do but then I have no idea if this is a result of the ancient writers actually struggling or is it fully caused by really bad modern translations of ancient texts an ancient languages/words.
The translation I quotes from was by Shri Purohit Swami. From my copy:
Shri Purohit Swami was born into a religious and wealthy family in Badners, India, in 1882. He studied philosophy and law, received his LL.B. from Decan College, Poona, married and had three children. However, he did not practice law, and instead spent his entire life in spiritual devotion. He wrote in his native Marathi, in Hindi, Sanskrit and English – poems, songs, a play, a novel, a commentary on The Bhagavad Gita and an autobiography. He left India in 1930 at the suggestion of his Master to interpret the religious life of India for the West, and made his new home in England. It was here that he produced beautiful translations of The Bhagavad Gita, Patanjali’s Aphorisms of Yoga and – in collaboration with his great friend, the Irish poet W.B. Yeats – The Ten Principal Upanishads. He died in 1946.