View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDayAfterYesterday
BUDH in Sanskirt: From the Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism: buddha. (T. sangs rgyas; C. fo; J. butsu/hotoke; K. pul 佛). In Sanskrit and Pāli,
“awakened one” or “enlightened one”; an epithet derived from the Sanskrit root
√budh, meaning “to awaken” or “to open up” (as does a flower) and thus
traditionally etymologized as one who has awakened from the deep sleep of
ignorance and opened his consciousness to encompass all objects of knowledge.
I apologise because it seems that we are both correct, as I was taking my meaning directly from the Vedic literature:

Quote:
Buddhi (Sanskrit: बुद्धि) is derived from the Vedic Sanskrit root Budh (बुध् ), which literally means "to wake, be awake, observe, heed, attend, learn, become aware of, to know, be conscious again".[1] The term appears extensively in Rigveda and other Vedic literature.[1] Buddhi means, states Monier Williams, the power to "form, retain concepts; intelligence, reason, intellect, mind", the intellectual faculty and the ability to "discern, judge, comprehend, understand" something.[1][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhi

I feel the difference occurs in a 'mental awakening' vs one that occurs beyond the mind and all knowledge.