View Single Post
Old 16-10-2010, 02:36 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandybytheSea
It's not that you'll believe it when you see it ....
it's more that you'll see it when you believe it.

The spirit world doesn't give us proof, it encourages us to have faith. If they provided proof it would go against free will, because then we would have no choice but to believe. When we have sufficient faith that life does go on, then proof can be provided because it cannot alter our belief system. That's why sceptics will always be sceptics and will never have experiences to convince them, because they have free will to believe as they do and that must not be interferred with.

That statement "It's not that you'll believe it when you see it, it's more you'll see it when you believe it" has always bothered me as being just too pat an answer. Faith is indeed a powerful tool, but people had faith that the earth was flat too, accepting the belief of the time and never having experienced (or witnessed!) falling off the edges (!), and they were wrong. Faith can be a wonderful thing...it can also lead one down a purely fictional, fantasy path.

In my case it's not so much that I'm a skeptic, for I am not. But I also don't want to fool myself into accepting a belief merely because it "feels good" and comforts me. I am a true seeker in that regard...I want to KNOW! The fact of the matter is that whatever individual beliefs different ones of us may hold, they are exactly that...beliefs. No one has the market cornered on ultimate truth, and until such time as we experience something for ourselves, any ideas we might have about the way things are are pure speculation. Calling lack of "proof" free will is a bit of a circuitous argument. Naturally I want to believe in an afterlife in the spirit realms... we ALL do! I would say I am even inclined towards and leaning that way BUT... I don't KNOW of a certainty, and neither does anyone else still living.

Last edited by LightFilledHeart : 16-10-2010 at 02:40 PM.