View Single Post
Old 18-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Sure....and some very diligent research shows that 84% of these people who go vegan or vegetarian give it up as unsustainable and go back to consuming animal proteins which fits with what the University of Texas Health Science center has published.

Qoute: Michael Houston PHD, Professor Emeritus of the University of Texas Health Science center concerning veganism ....... "Perhaps 10 to 15 percent of the world wide human population have a metabolism that can be successful being completely free of animal products in there diet"

So that 84% rate of failure tracks pretty darn closely with the professors statement.

And Debrah.....if those 15% who can stay healthy on a vegan diet are happy with it....I'm happy for them! But it just doesn't work for the majority of the world population.

First of all, Googling your quote from Dr. Houston came up with nothing. So please provide your link.

But I did find as I looked for him, that Dr. Houston, kinesiologist, died at the age of 67. Only 67 years... https://www.hnfe.vt.edu/people/facul...m/houston.html

Compare him to Dr. Ellseworth Wareham, a 104 year old vegan heart surgeon (retired at 95):https://www.kinderworld.org/videos/h...100-years-old/

As for the diligent research that says 84% of vegans go back to eating meat I did come across a discussion page by Jack Norris, Registered Dietitian and vegan about the topic. One thing he pointed out was that many of the people who failed the first time, were open to giving it a try again. https://veganoutreach.org/humane-res...an-recidivism/

It isn't necessarily feeling poorly either, that can cause veg'n's to quit, but the difficulty when eating out (salads and fries over and over get's pathetically boring), as well as the peer pressure that meat eaters invariably foist on anyone in their party who are foregoing meat at dinner. I've had that experience myself, several times ranging from, 'don't you get tired of salads, have a burger' to 'we raised this cow ourselves so you have to try some'.

But as more restaurants are making vegan options available and as more people are accepting of it in general, I think you'd find those recidivism numbers changing.

And I'd also take a moment to remind you that many changes of habit, take a couple of 'false starts' before they get going effectively. For example, I must have quit smoking a dozen times before I became an official non-smoker. That was over 35 years ago (no cigarettes since then) and 25 years since the last time I ate meat and 11 years since I last used a dairy product or eggs.
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge (1860-1954)