View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
This seems a most valid point. Look what scientists did when they were given half an ounce of plutonium.

Seen against the backdrop of humans increasingly becoming bubbles, living in their smartphones doing everything with their Echo thingies (if only they'd come up with a machine that does the ironing!) they'll soon hardly need to leave their sofas let alone go outside. Simply, they'll atrophy and won't be able to put up a fight - only the few who have not succumbed to technology - and it's pretty easy to see how Cyberdyne/Skynet could become actual.

Or will they simply become the machines? Upload themselves into a computer-like thing dispensing with flesh altogether (On trains I notice about 90% of people in the carriage glued to their smartphones. What a nuisance keep having to tap and rub their thumb up the little screens. How much easier if the thing was in their heads?)

Ok, we’re a bit away from the neuroscience yet but it isn’t for want of effort. With exponential growth rate the thing becomes scary indeed.

Of machines, is humanity creating its next evolutionary step? These AI devices probably won't have to rely on the nigh-depleted Earth - they almost certainly won't need air so they can travel where they like taking such time as they need. How will humans, fleshly organisms or digitised, fit in. Would they be in a position to sabotage progress? I hear about this thing called the singularity and keep meaning to look it up. I’m no scientist though. Push me past Ohm’s Law and I’m in the wilderland!

Cyberdyne/Skynet, here I come!!

Lorelyen, so many good points here.
You're right...the sabotage could come from either side.
I certainly don't want an implants (as hence the Borg would be only a few gens away). Repulsive really.

We are already singularities of consciousness, particularly once entrained and heart-led. IMO, we need to follow the Dalai Lama's lead and vastly expand studies of consciousness, which could allow humanity to "be there" well ahead of the AI we send to wherever to actually collect the physical samples or what have ye.

If we fold time and space, which is apparently possible at advanced stages of consciousness, then we can once again go where no (earth hu)man has gone before. Provided AI doesn't become sentient and ensoulled with psychopathy as its norm, versus empathy. Or provided we don't otherwise shoot ourselves in the foot due to selfishness, greed, rampant exploitation of selves and environment, etc.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke