View Single Post
Old 17-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamah
It makes perfect sense, Timbrel. To quote Verbal from The Usual Suspects, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist." The Yetzer Hara exists in all of us and if you don't see it, that doesn't mean it isn't there... it just means it's hiding.

One of my favorite Ba'al Shem Tov stories:
A couple came to the Ba'al Shem Tov, saying they have been trying to conceive for years and years but they could not get pregnant. They asked the Ba'al Shem Tov for a blessing to help them conceive. The Ba'al Shem Tov naturally obliged. That night, an angel came to the Ba'al Shem Tov in a dream.

The angel said "How could you give that couple a blessing to conceive? God had decreed, through His Wisdom, that the couple should not have a child but now, since you gave them a blessing, God will have to overturn His decree. As punishment for not using your foresight you are now no longer allowed in Heaven after you pass away."

The Ba'al Shem Tov awoke in the morning with a stricken look on his face. Then, slowly, his face started to brighten up until, eventually, a large smile grew across it. He leapt out of bed and gave a shout of joy, then ran outside laughing and dancing. The angel of God came down to him again.

"Um... you did understand what I told you right?" the angel asked, "You're banished from heaven. Forever".

The Ba'al Shem Tov answered "Yes, and thank you! This is the most wonderful gift ever!"

"How is it wonderful?" the angel asked, puzzled.

"Because", he answered, "for my whole life I served God but I always wondered if maybe I was just doing it for the sake of a reward. Now I know that I will have no reward but I STILL want to serve God! Finally it is clear to me that my motivations are pure."

The angel shook his head with amazement. "Ok, Ba'al Shem Tov, you're back in."

I really like this. LOL...esp the part abt God having to overturn his decree...and the lumps the Besht had to take as a result, in order to bring him to a higher level...and LOLs that the angel didn't foresee it, but rolled with it nonetheless.

So don't wonder...just DO. Then no place is hell and all places are heaven.

Thanks for sharing