View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Two points I'll critique here.

1) It isn't necessary to do cardio to lose weight. Changed in body weight will come down to taking in less calories that you burn. Cardio burns some calories, so it is advisable for weight loss goals. It is important to eat the right nutrients, so the distribution of protein fat and carbs needs to be right.

2) Lifting like a powerlifter isn't what bulks. The main driver of hypertrophy (muscle gainz) is 'volume' (sets x reps x weight). For example, if a person does 120kg for fives, that's a total volume of 600. If that do 100 for 8s, that's a total volume of 800. The latter is going to bulk moreso than the former (provided the diet is right).

1. I agree, cardio is inefficient for burning calories, so it isn't necessary for weight loss.

2. Regarding weight exercises ... Doing more repetitions with lighter weights results in more bulking up. Using heavier weights, hence less repetitions, is results in gaining more strength. I believe that's what you wrote too.

The one repetition with the heaviest load you can handle is a form of High-Intensity.

The modern consensus is that High-Intensity isn't only the most time efficient type of exercise, but also the healthiest.