Thread: Hebrew Language
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Knower
FORWARD:
Forgive the format, but I'm not permitted to post URL's yet, so I've had to alter the format accordingly.
You can copy this post into regular notepad, press control+h, type <dot> in "find what" and . in "replace with" and then press, "Replace All".
Then, type <slash> in "find what" and / in "replace with" and then press, "Replace All".
This will return the format correctly so that you can copy/paste the links into a browser again.

Once I am allowed to add links, I'll make sure to come back through and correct these links.
Again, my apologies.

Note: there are also some odd errors in the way the post is presenting the text in general; chiefly, there are added spaces that I did not place, but are showing up in the final post.
An example of this is the name Gesenius' below.
It is being rendered as if it is
Geseniu s', even though it is not written with a space between the, "u", and the, "s" :
en<dot>wikisource<dot>org<slash>wiki<slash>Geseniu s'_Hebrew_Grammar

If you see spaces, remove them; they are not intended.

Alright, here are some resources that might aid in your pursuits.
This is my current compiled list I have used over the years:
(I have added my thoughts and opinions on them in case it helps)

Reading:
  • classic<dot>net<dot>bible<dot>org<slash>bible<dot> php
    Doubles as dictionary & options for grammar, but you can't take everything they say as final; it's a good indication of the options, and then you can work from there. It makes it much more easy than otherwise.
    The definitions are just all of the options, and not specific to the grammatical use, though which form the grammar is (of verbs) is stated.
  • mechon-mamre<dot>org<slash>p<slash>pt<slash>pt0<dot>htm
    My personal favorite for Hebrew reading online.
    I have simply never found a better online resource for raw classic Hebrew text.
    The easiest way to use this is to type in the book you are looking for, then click on a result that has a chapter listing (like Genesis 1, is an example of a result if you type in Genesis). Once you get into a chapter (even if it is not the chapter you are looking for), all of the book's chapter's will be visible at the top as clickable links. (In short, their search engine isn't too great, but it's workable.)
  • scripture4all<dot>org<slash>OnlineInterlinear<slas h>Hebrew_Index<dot>htm
    This one is alright, but it's easy to get distracted with their translations, which aren't bad exactly or anything, I just prefer as raw as I can get.

Dictionaries:
  • classic<dot>net<dot>bible<dot>org<slash>bible<dot> php
    As stated above, useful as a dictionary as well.
  • morfix<dot>mako<dot>co<dot>il
    This one is tricky to use because the site navigation is in Hebrew, so that may cause stumbling blocks at first, but just paste the Hebrew into the search bar at the top right and click on the first button to the left of the search field to find a result.
    Results are in English.

Grammar:
  • en<dot>wikisource<dot>org<slash>wiki<slash>Geseniu s'_Hebrew_Grammar
    Great breakdown of everything. Really insanely lengthy though, but it's really slick to see a reference book flipped into a searchable and clickable wiki!
    Really great resource for Nouns! (which are hard to come by content on...most concentrate on the grammar of the verbs)
    Also has the ever tricky Participles!!
  • hebrew4christians<dot>net<slash>Grammar<slash>gram mar<dot>html
    Really light-weight, but a decent introduction to basic classic Hebrew grammar.
  • laits<dot>utexas<dot>edu<slash>hebrew<slash>heblan g<slash>bh<slash>bhonline<slash>grammar<slash>verb s<dot>pdf
    A really short, but really effective simple layout of the common and basic conjugations, such as the Person, in easy tables.
  • torahdikduk<dot>com/DikdukSetup<dot>zip
    Absolutely unrivaled.
    The most comprehensive and usefull tool on Hebrew Grammar I have ever found.
    With this and something like <dot>mechon-mamre<dot>org<slash>p<slash>pt<slash>pt0<dot>htm, you can quickly identify which form a word is in and therefore which grammatical treatment to employ.
  • tmcdaniel<dot>palmerseminary<dot>edu<slash>Geseniu sGrammar<dot>pdf
    REALLY in-depth, not so much a resource look-up, but a learning read. (this is the same as the wiki above, but without being able to "wiki")
  • jewishvirtuallibrary<dot>org<slash>jsource<slash>j udaica<slash>ejud_0002_0008_0_08627<dot>html
    Great reference for quick verb conjugation meanings (and more).
    (simple active, simple passive, intensive active, intensive passive, causative active, causative passive, and reflexive)

Classic Hebrew Fonts:
  • scripts<dot>sil<dot>org<slash>EzraSIL_Home

Hope that helps