Thread: Semantics
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Deactivated Account
I sat with a teacher up in Ojai, CA and at the end of the discussion about the Absolute, he asked me what would be left if I fell dead on the floor of a heart attack and, after thinking about that for a moment, I said, "Some form of consciousness or awareness would be left here." He seemed happy with my answer. Now, if asked such a question, I'd say, "I/me would be left here if my body suddenly died!" I may not have much more to say about this "I/me" that is left here after bodily death but that's more about semantics than my experience or feelings.
When my brother in law died of cancer, he = the living being/personality, was right there, invisibly hovering over his dead body and was as alive and real as he ever was in a body! He was and still is right here WITHOUT the need of any body! This was and still is true for my mother, grandfather, several of my late wife's family members and also my late wife. They are all still very alive and well in the Afterlife which has shown me that there is way more to life and Being than what is experienced in the physical plane.
The problem with discussing any of that usually comes up over SEMANTICS and WORDS more than anything else. I cannot PROVE that my relatives are still alive & right here nor can I prove that I will still be here and alive and well after this form dies, mostly because our culture's language does not honor such non-material things yet many other cultures and languages do! Even though my late brother in law was absolutely obvious to me (and my late wife), I would be hard pressed to find adequate words to describe what happened, how I felt and what my late wife saw, felt and experienced. It was really beyond any words that I currently have other than stuff like: surreal, spiritual, mystical, mysterious, strange, esoteric, telepathic, impressions, feelings, knowing, sensing, etc., none of which meet the requirements of proof or fact.
It was once pointed out to me that other languages and cultures like India, South America, Australia and the Far East contain concepts and words that cannot be found in the West and that even in the West, there are certain "secret" or hidden languages and words that are rarely found in common everyday use so it seems that while studying semantics might help to understand some things, a person may need to go beyond: words, concepts and the limited "mind" in order to fully understand certain things such as: Advaita, Non-duality, the Afterlife, Reality, Spirit, god, Infinity, That, Consciousness, Christ, etc.