View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Yamah

That is a wonderful realization, thank you for sharing.

The Original Testament is an amazing text filled with many great truths that have yet to be uncovered. In religious Jewish schools Tanach is actually only taught very sparingly, being taught to children with the commentaries of Rashi, then set aside in favor of Gemara (texts discussing Jewish Law and Philosophy). After the age of Bar Mitzvah most religious Jews, especially Chareidi, only learn Tanach once a week when it is read in public on Shabbat - and even then probably sleep through it or go over what they were learning in Gemara.

There was one sage, The Vilna Gaon (the genius of Vilna), who lived in the 18th century. Throughout his life he studied everything, both Jewish and Secular. He was a master of Gemara, Kabbalah, Mathematics, Astronomy and Geography. He learned from great masters and his students became great masters after he passed. In his old age he stopped writing and turned away all his students to focus on learning Tanach exclusively. Scribbling notes remain which were assembled into a commentary with elucidations by his son. The Jewish Community was shocked, and still is, by his decision to turn back to Tanach instead of Gemara, making excuses for him such as stating that he knew Gemara so well he could review all of Gemara within the original texts... but truly that is not the reason for him doing so. Tanach, especially in its original language of Hebrew, is such a deep and wonderful text with many subtle nuances that only age and wisdom can reveal (so I am told anyways... I believe I have a larger than average amount of wisdom but I don't yet have age).

I would highly recommend you look into some Jewish commentaries as you read the Torah. There are many passages that can be misunderstood or worse yet misapplied if not learned correctly (which, I'm sorry to say, christians love to do). The commentary of Rashi, as I mentioned, is the most traditional and basic - though it should be understood that although he mentions at the beginning that he is dealing with the literal interpretation a lot of his comments are drawing from the Midrash which is an allegorical interpretation and should in no way be taken literally. The commentaries of the Vilna Gaon would be on the opposite side of the spectrum - noting briefly certain depths and nuances that most cannot understand or appreciate.

And if you have any questions about any passages feel free to either post them on this forum or IM me directly. Though I am not always the most knowledgeable I have access to vast libraries and great rabbinic minds and would be more than happy to research any passage for you.