View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 05:03 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
Do you enter in the hypnagogic state?

Not unless I doze off. That's rare but it can happen if for whatever reason I'm very tired. A bad on-call week can do it. Getting paged a few times a night really messes with the sleep cycle, and especially if it's multiple nights. LOL!

Choiceless awareness is interesting. Neuroscientific investigation in a lab setting with Buddhist monks using fMRI and EEG show gamma oscillation (40-90 Hz) and highly synchronized across widespread regions of the brain. When an external stimulus is introduced it phase locks onto one of the oscillations.

My experience of this is when in that state it's like hyper awareness. For instance where I previously lived I meditated in an upstairs bedroom I used as a home office. The heating system had two zones and the upstairs thermostat was in that room. Normally when the thermostat turned that zone on I would barely notice the click, but when in that deep state of meditation it would literally send a jolt through my body. Where I now live the same thing happens when the hot water starts circulating through the baseboard radiators.

These are more pronounced than other things that come into the field of awareness, I think because they are a very sudden and distinct higher pitched sounds, however the elevated state of awareness applies to anything and everything.

Here's Richie Davidson explaining that particular aspect of resting in awareness (choiceless awareness)

https://youtu.be/5TeWvf-nfpA?t=1497