View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Pathfinder

For me, I required an engaging philosophical argument to leave my thieving, drug addicted ways. I imagine this argument is unique for each person.

I went from nihilism during my criminal days to positive nihilism, that is to say, because life is purposeless, we're fully enabled to make up its purpose. And I made up the ultimate purpose is to contribute value to society.

Now, many people get stuck on nihilism. I was stuck with it until I made a logical change to my theory of mind: I realized that the greatest authority was not reason but opinion, and so I could build a base from other people's opinions that were good and give my life similar value that they pulled from their beliefs.

I haven't stolen in nine months using this system.

Another thing that really helped was a support system to keep me accountable. My family would yell at me when I stole, which helped a lot.

I became active in online support forums, that helped a lot too.

Another thing that helped was sampling heroic fiction. Stuff like superhero movies motivated me to be a better person, 'cause I admired the heroes.

I used to smoke meth, steal alcohol and televisions and everything I ate from stores. I once held a knife to my grandma's throat. Now I wouldn't do any of those things, because I watch my mental health.

The key to stopping bad behavior is to recognize that it begins before the bad behavior starts. For example, shoplifting begins before you get to the store. You need to learn your triggers to bad behavior so you can use grounding techniques or self talk or a support system to stop it.

Long post, hope it's read. I consider my life a study of evil.