View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 11:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
When I was in grad-school one of the things we learned was how to do a community assessment,
and part of this process was visiting a cemetery in an outlying community and writing a paper about
what you learned about that community from visiting their local cemetery.

Its’ amazing the things you can learn, especially from the headstones, when you visit a cemetery.
Like when I did this assignment I learned that there was a couple of years when lots of young children
died in a particular community, and I learned this from looking at grave-site headstones. Family plots
can tell you something about a community. The types of headstones there are in the cemetery, religious
symbols, etc., can tell you something. There are lots of things you can learn from a grave yard.

that's really neat information and insight. yeah this thread has made me consider burial as a superior option merely for the fact that it gives people a sort of sacred place to go, though before I was thinking that cremation was better because of the liberation and freedom of scattering ashes and the adventure that they can go on lol. I guess as you mentioned in your previous post about the VA locker, people could have ashes present at a graveyard site somehow too. I mean I could argue that some people see a graveyard site or whatever as a burden because they don't end up visiting it as much as they think they should or would like to.. and also that the spirit or soul has moved on and isn't part of the ashes, or that dead burnt bodies are creepy lol.. but still, I know that the time or two I visited a grave of a beloved family member, the experience has a language of its own and does seem like soul stuff. especially because you can go with other loved ones, and being outside, etc.. thankfully the only person I was very close to that died was my grandma over a decade ago and I'd have a heart-wrenching soul-sparking experience at her gravesite.. then my dad died a couple years ago and I had moved so I haven't been back to the state and he was cremated (he didn't even have legs left so I guess it was more fitting especially how badly his poor body had gotten) and I haven't gotten any ashes yet. I do want some but I also have mixed feelings about it. and my mom who divorced him eons ago currently has them.. she and my brother spread some in California and maybe somewhere else, and my sister spread some in Asia. I suppose that the spirituality and meaning we attach to the object/ashes and activity of spreading them is what makes it most significant, same with the gravesite I guess