View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
My husband's sister passed late 80s. Suddenly from a heart attack. They were both from a Jewish family. She was still interested in the Jewish faith (her husband converted to Judaism to marry her and was faithful to it all his life), but my husband had never really been into it, wasn't religious, and as they had lived totally separate lives. He hadn't even been in contact with her for many years. (They had argued once and wouldn't forgive each other!)

I'll just add here that I'm not Jewish and hadn't then,and still haven't -much of a clue about the Jewish faith or religious ceremonies etc.

So just after she had passed my husband was in one of our living rooms watching a football match. He'd looked forward to that football match all week. So he got his snacks, and went to watch it.
I hate football so was doing some art work in another room.

In the middle of my work I suddenly heard his sister's voice and sensed her character. (I had met her once before.)
She said to me in a very hurried way: "Ask (my husband's name) to say Kaddish for me!" (Apologies if I have mis-spelled that.)

Okay I hadn't a clue what that was. I answered her "What's "Kaddish"?"
She just repeated what she'd said before. She sounded like it was very important and she didn't have much time to tell me.
I then said "You have to talk to him yourself. Try to. This is between you and him. Not me. I''m not family. He's in the next room. He might hear you. Try."
She then said, "I can't! He's asleep!"
I answered, "He's not asleep. He's watching football."
"I can't. He's asleep!" She repeated. Then I felt her start to fade out and I didn't hear any more.

So I went quickly to tell him what I'd just sensed. I didn't know what to make of it. I didn't even know for sure then there was life after death. I didn't know what this "Kaddish" thing was either....but started to put two-and-two together and wondered if it might be some special religious thing which would be important to her...
So I went in the next room and what did I find? He was asleep.

I woke him up and told him what had happened. I asked him what "Kaddish" was and he wasn't even sure!
We found out Kaddish is a Jewish prayer for those who have passed.

That should have been enough evidence to show me about life after death....but oh, unfortunately not! It still took a few more years.....