View Single Post
Old 22-09-2017, 12:31 AM
Kioma

Thanks to all the members who brought it.
As has been shown, the disparagement is out there. Actually, there is no shortage of opinions, for or against. For me personally, I'd like to say that while not every guy with an OBE, a book, and tents for 'retreats' in his back yard is a guru (my opinion), so every person with a few slick quips and a chip on his shoulder is likewise not necessarily a religious authority (again my opinion).

I agree, it is very much about What you want, and it should be. In my experience, however, spirit often sends what you need, ignoring what you want. Perhaps some bright person will figure out how to improve that at some point.

The debate goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightoflenity
...New age is the jeet kune do of religious practice...
Back to Wikipedia:

Jeet Kune Do (Chinese: 截拳道; Cantonese Yale: Jit6kyun4dou6; [tsìːt̚.kʰy̏ːn.tòu]), abbreviated JKD, is a hybrid philosophy of martial arts heavily influenced by the personal philosophy and experiences of martial artist Bruce Lee. Lee, who founded the system on July 9, 1969, referred to it as "non-classical", suggesting that JKD is a form of Chinese Kung Fu, yet without form.

But wait! There's more!

Bruce believed that kata forms and martial art tournament matches alike (like Karate) were simply "organised despair". He believed that in order to "fully express oneself, one must" "have no limitations" (kata and rigid and non-flowing movements being the limitation).

Are you suggesting that Bruce Lee's thinking and fighting were innately 'New Age'? If traditional Kung Fu's limitation was it's inherent structure, what might the effective counter-style be, hmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Then please take a seat and I'll bring the champagne round once I've stopped playing the piano...

Pandas can play the piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
One big complaint I hear is that the new age beliefs are not structured. Religion is highly structured.
Now THAT'S a valid sounding criticism, to which I would say... Your mileage may vary.

I think it's all about individual preference. Traditional religion is still very popular, and gives all indication of not going away very soon if ever. There are those people who thrive on structure - but there are those others who choke on structure, and require something much more open (Bruce Lee?). It is those people who seem to be coming into their own in this 'age'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraIndigo
That could also be called baha'i though

Baha'i? Once again I turn to Wikipedia:

Bahá'í teachings are in some ways similar to other monotheistic faiths: God is considered single and all-powerful. However, Bahá'u'lláh taught that religion is orderly and progressively revealed by one God through Manifestations of God who are the founders of major world religions throughout history; Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad being the most recent in the period before the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh. As such, Bahá'ís regard the major religions as fundamentally unified in purpose, though varied in social practices and interpretations. There is a similar emphasis on the unity of all people, openly rejecting notions of racism and nationalism. At the heart of Bahá'í teachings is the goal of a unified world order that ensures the prosperity of all nations, races, creeds, and classes.[6][7]

Wow - that sounds awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglow
...There is the upside as well and the more research is done showing the benefits of such practices as meditation and mindfulness.

Along with this, psychology gets thrown in the mix as well as nutritional health.
Not saying it is a bad thing necessarily, just can be confusing as to what one "should" be doing to obtain balance in ones life or spiritual connection.

Would say follow one heart and do the research. Find what works for you and not necessarily what is marketed out there as being the answer...
Sage advice Moonglow.

I agree, it does cover a lot of territory, though very unevenly. It's almost the Wikipedia of spirit.