Thread:
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Poppies

Re: Eternal Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASA
Poppies:
John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I've had that one thrown at me a few times aswell. ;-) Another translation I've heard (apparently a more correct one) is 'No-one comes to the Father, except through the son'. Now I can live with that one because I don't believe Jesus was God's only son. It just means that 'to successfully approach God you have to take help from someone who is already in touch with Him.'
That's one way of looking at it...

Looking at those words as if they were the words actually spoken by Jesus....

A signpost shows the way to go..... if someone is lost, they ask the way... a road travelled is the way to get to a destination...

I like the idea that Jesus is showing us the 'road' to travel.... he is showing us the 'way' to go...

What if he is saying that "the way to come to the Father is by travelling the way (the road) that I am showing you" - that's completely different to "you have to be a Christian before you die or you go to hell"!!

Although our interpretations are different, and I'm only 'offering' mine up for consideration anyway....I know that to an extent we're on the same wavelength - in that we don't agree with the "Christian interpretation" of that quote....

I don't want to sound flippant here, but another way to look at that quote is to imagine Jesus as a sort of 'bouncer' (like at a nightclub).... If a bouncer says "no-one is coming into this nightclub except through me" he is not saying "you must become a bouncer or you can't come in".... what he is actually saying is "It's up to me who comes in and who doesn't - it's my choice".........