View Single Post
Old 19-12-2017, 11:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Call me old fashioned but I have no use what so ever with gender neutral terms......if I'm talking about a girl... I'll be using " girl words"...... same for a man....... thanks anyway!

Hey there Lucky,
TBH, I do think it's very odd that you or anyone would think that certain words are "girl words" and certain words are "man words". What I mean is, these traits are ALL human traits and they don't belong to just men or just women. No one owns them. When I describe the traits I love or desire in a person, kindness is at the top, and I'm definitely speaking about men.

My 6 ft 13 yr old son is one of the sweetest, kindest, and most tender-hearted people I know. And I think it's utter rubbish and quite tragic that men don't feel safe freely using these terms for themselves to honour those aspects of themselves that enlarge and strengthen and glority the generous heart. To be considerate of that, I suggest using a term like kindness not to be "gender neutral" but to be considerate of folks' feelings on all sides.

I also think it's tragic that many men don't feel courageous or safe enough to honour and recognise the courage and strength, the intellect and clarity and leadership, in women. I think it's the flip side.

That's why it was heartening that you did mention intelligence and strength are key traits you looked for in women (and that you found!). If you hadn't allowed yourself this space, you'd still be (most likely) stuck with the sweet and fun (as that's seen as socially mandated by many) but without the steel and the self-possessed mind of her own. It's all about the balance and the mix, isn't it?

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke