View Single Post
Old 30-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Starman I didn't read your entire informative post so please forgive if this is a repeat, but one also has to go to your hospital with the documents so they have a copy of them in your file.

As Blackraven mentioned, the medical directive form has to bear the signatures of two to three witnesses; these people witness you signing that form, and you can give a copy to one, or more, of your witnesses. The witnesses can be family members, your physician, friends, etc. I gave a copy of my medical directive to one of my witnesses, and also a copy to the VA, because as a military veteran I get most of my healthcare from the VA, and my final resting place here on earth will be at a VA cemetery.

The VA scanned my medical directive form into my computerized medical records that they have on file. Many hospitals will also scan the form into a patients computerized records. I also have a typed and signed note in my wallet, right behind my drivers license, which reads "in the event of my death please contact" and the name, and phone number, of my physician, my County Veterans Service Officer, etc.

As a former ambulance paramedic, and having worked in hospital emergency rooms, I know when a person dies, either at the scene or in an ER, they look in the person's wallet, or purse, to get some identifying information and information on who to contact, and they remove that card or other info from the deceased persons wallet or purse. The people I have listed on the note in my wallet know about my medical directive and my Last-Will, which is also on file.

So what I have shared here are just some suggestions, putting a note in your wallet, etc. There are lots of other ways to do this, keeping in mind that the most convenient and readily accessible way is probably the best way. A lot of people don't want their body lying in a morgue for a long time because no one has claimed their body, or having a doctor who does not know your wishes make decisions for you if you can not make those decisions for your self. The note in my wallet gives these professionals some guidance in such cases.

P.S. Some veterans wear dog tags with info on who to contact, I have also seen kids wearing dog tags with next of kin contact info, their medical condition info, etc. Medical bracelets and necklaces are also popular.