View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
well I guess one can spin things any number of ways depending on the point they want to get across.
I will note that people who have more and attain more and always try to get more never seem as satisfied as people who learn do without...

This thread is about the relationship between mental health issues, nutrition deficiencies and spirituality. It seems many ascetic traditions come originally from poor countries, and embrace a lifestyle that often necessitates sense deprivation as a spiritual ideal.

Ascetic traditions are trying to replicate experiences that people suffering from malnourishment, starvation, and sleep deprivation also experience. These traditions could be mass deluding themselves generation after generation, trying to create conditions that are known to cause hallucination and delusions.

If for example some say ''fast for a month for spiritual growth'' or ''you only need 4 hours of sleep'' than we should question this, as such deprivations are known to create mental health issues, and this should not be fetishized as 'spiritual growth'.

I think it's important to stay grounded, and this isn't just a matter of ''attitude'', it's about lifestyle as a whole.

PS.; Why do you quote such a long post when you (1) don't directly comment on the content, and (2) when the post is right above your own? It makes for needless scrolling on a page and nobody will read my comment twice if it's just on the same page.