View Single Post
Old 24-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Experiencer
Question Can an atheist follow Buddhism?

Hello, I'm hopeful of gaining some insight from you on something I've wondered about for a time. I grew up in a Christian home as a kid, then about five years ago, I left Christianity and eventually identified as an atheist. My grandmother died about a year later, and my world sort of fell apart. She meant a lot to me. I started exploring Buddhism, Islam and eventually came back to Christianity a little over a year ago. But, it never really felt like it was something I should have done. I think I returned to it because I was sad and grieving over the loss of my grandmother. Fast forward to now, and I'm leaning towards atheism, again.

My question for you is...can one be an atheist, and also adhere to some Buddhism principles? I've heard of spiritual atheism, I'm just wondering if that is really possible? I just logically don't believe anymore in a higher power, but in my heart, I feel that we are all connected, somehow...some way.

Buddhism is very logical and also helps emotionally. Just wondering your thoughts on this.