View Single Post
Old 30-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundJohnstone
Hi and cheers for your reply.
I realised that if I don't counter their mean attitude, and hold the negative emotions inside me, it just makes me feel worse over time as the negativity and frustration builds up. The mean person gets away with it, not caring (some might feel good that they harmed) and I tend to frustrate and harm myself mentally because of holding in the frustration and negativity as I feel bullied mentally(emotionally)

At my working place, there is a guy who is in a higher job position than me, he is assigned as my mentor but he always tells me "Oh that's incorrect" or "You're wrong" , every time and he says this while he is laughing at me and others are around me. He seems critic towards me every time, there is no encouragement out there, despite him being my mentor. Don't get me wrong. I love doing mistakes, I love learning, but his attitude is a bit obnoxious(from my perspective), in the way that I perceive it as bullying and I dislike it

His duty is to teach and mentor me, instead he gives me tasks and then he just criticizes me.I feel frustrated because of that. Maybe I am too sensitive but I can feel him being mean and trying to show superiority

In this situation your mentor seems to enjoy this position of authority that he has and it's triggering his already blossoming ego. Your strength of character and patience is being tested and I get the sense that you have a habit of ending up playing the push over due to your resistance to speak up or approach possible conflict. I also think that your ego is feeling a little bruised due to his insistence on constantly correcting you and chastising you with his sarcasm. His behaviour is passive aggressive and you are being tested and challenged in this situation.

You could either approach him man to man next time he belittles or outright offends you as long as he is crossing a boundary professionally and not just poking a bear so to speak as in doing so you may very well gain his respect or you could see him as simply a co-worker in a higher position than you whom allows the little bit of power that he has been given to go to his head and see him as an example of who not to be and how not to behave in positions of power when granted them. Remind yourself that it's not personal as he would do this to anyone and that your ultimately going to learn to become a much more humbled, patient, tolerant and resilient man under his mentorship.

It may help you to use physical exercise as a tool to help you release some of this repressed anger and resentment. Negativity can be released by simple writing down everything and every one that annoys, aggravates and ****es you off then simple screw it up and burn it, throwing the ashes outside choosing to let go of all that sh*t. Don't let other people make you feel less than you already do about yourself, something or someone will knock him down one day and he will in due course learn for himself