Thread: Ark encounter
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARDAV70
I did a paper on The Flood in high school (when I was still a Christian) (aced it). True, there are stories all over the world about great floods. Problem is, there are too many dissimilarities to be reporting the same event. Although I believed the Great Flood story then, I noticed way different names, different instances and even different reasons for the flood. The only one that was similar to the biblical version is the Assyrian account...which is far more detailed, yet a very different name than "Noah" is given and is much older than the biblical account. And guess what? The Assyrian civilization is mighty nearby to where the more recent Hebrews originated.
There is indeed scientific evidence of ancient large scale floods, but these floods are all local (as opposed to world wide) and occurred at widely different times.

Also keep in mind that the individual civilizations back then did not have a grasp of what a "global" disaster would be. If there was a flood that wiped out the area of the world where they were, to them it would seem like a global event, because it wiped out everything they knew.