Thread: No God
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2019, 03:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
I'd say where there is a potential for rising above in a future sense is when we learn or understand something new. Then, we have changed, new knowledge or understanding has been added, and so what we are and do in the future changes or at least we have the potential for this to happen. It depends how deeply this new understanding has affected us and how deeply we make it a part of us.

It's a good point and I just want to discern between the knowledge acquired and the sort od knowing that is a realisation, because a person can learn a lot of knowledge without undergoing any fundamental transformation as a person, whereas realising things is inherently transformative.

I've made a categorical distinction for the sake of exploration, but according to Buddhist philosophy they aren't exactly separate. Buddhist ontology has three aspects to knowing: The truth of the words (dhamma teachings); The intellectual understanding of them and; the insight.

The truth of the words is based on the assumption that the words are those of the enlightened one, so we accept them as true based on the authority of the speaker.

The intellectual understanding is when we think it through and see that it makes sense, adds up, seems reasonable, is consistent.

The insight is when we realise things for ourselves.

All three together make up Buddhist 'knowledge'.