View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

Religion and spirituality are all about perceived concepts, on an individual and/or collective level.

I could say something which relates to myself, that is true for me alone and have others disagree with me because it is not true for them, but they cannot prove their way of thinking any more than I can prove mine...and so all we can say is 'God bless you and have a nice life'.

Spirituality is an individual concept/idea, that we are each working towards our own personal growth and are at different stages of it, but are not bound by any teachings, dogma or anybody else...however, that isn't entirely true either, or else certain 'spiritual authors' and 'gurus' wouldn't be as popular as they are...for mankind always seeks justification, acceptance, camaraderie, tolerance, importance and self-image...and so the more people who agree with their beliefs and opinions, the more people who follow their way, the better because they are 'not alone' they have others to 'talk to' now and to bounce ideas and philosophies off each other...and maybe a hundred people will get involved in a 'spiritual movement' and publish their collective works and findings...and thus a religion is being born.

However, they will be the very first to say "oh no...we are not religious because religion does 'bad things' in the name of it and we do not"...giving examples like ISIS or the Spanish Inquisition...totally forgetting that it's not the religion which causes it, but mentally unstable adherents of it (fanatics) and totally forgetting that other religions like Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism etc exist apart from the Abrahamic ones which their minds will automatically associate with 'religion'.

I could say that I am Hindu...I could say that I am spiritual and there would be thousands who would disagree with me on either front, or I could say that I am 'That' or I am 'Brahman' and have everybody agree, even if they haven't realised this for themselves and don't know about it anyway.

Namaste Shivani Devi,

You bring up some good points.

I feel humans on some level are social beings. It feels good to be able to express oneself and find others who understand. Why some religious gatherings are so popular, perhaps. A safe place to gather and worship, for some, IMO. Atleast in my view, suppose to be.

What may raise questions in my mind is whether what is being taught, preached, written, ect. is being done to help guide or to "self" promote.

I see spiritual teaching and practice as a form of religion. One may have realizations and awareness of things, and may wish to share. When one is sharing such in a spiritual way, one in a way is being religious.

Religions in some ways tend to get clumped into one basket, but there are so many different practices, beliefs, teachings, organizations, and such, so feel it is presumptuous to generalize all as the same. This is not directed towards you, by the way, just an opinion.

I can agree it is when it gets fanatical that conflicts arise and oppressive actions take place.

One could take on a title in order to define in what manner one believes or practices. One could hold no title and still have a ritual and/or practice he/she does. One could not give a toss about any of this and be kind and open to others.

We do come in all shapes, sizes, and experiences. Makes life interesting for me.

Some things can understand, some things I get lost with. My mind has to make some sort connection to it and have it make sense. It has to resonate with me on some level. If not, then tend to put it aside. Some things have taken time to understand, other things just don't get.

Brings to mind, some things are meant for me, and some are for others. To respect this and not always expect that another is going to agree, like, or even be interested.

Well those are some thoughts I have at present

Thank you for your thoughts.