Thread: Semantics
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2017, 03:32 AM
Deactivated Account
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
What about "WE are That?"
Who/what is asking? Who are you? Who or what is this "we" and what is the "That"? I have my own answers to these questions but chose not to offer them here.
Quote:
Seriously though the lack of personal pronoun use to indicate some kind of 'transcendence' of the personal is plain silly.
To you!

Quote:
People should know it that "I" means the ego, or 'self' or 'little me"
Sometimes, yes and sometimes, no. This 'I' can refer to whatever someone want it to, IMO. The impersonal Absolute can say: I and a personal frog can say or FEEL: I.

Quote:
so to say "I am That' means the ego isn't the end of the person because there's 'That'...there's everything else including the "I".

I would want to define the 'I' and then define the "That" in that cliche before deciding what it means.

Quote:
I was also an Advaita Vedantin for quite a while, but I never got into the "I am That" or "You are That" bit because those sayings, those mahavakyas were contradictory in themselves. If they would have been "I am" or just simply "That" it would make a lot more sense because the relation between "I am" and "That" is what kicks off the whole duality game.
The ego's misunderstanding and personalization of those sayings/cliches is what kicks off the whole duality game (where there is no duality to begin with!). The personal mind/ego is INCAPABLE of understanding any of those cliches that point to Oneness or Non-duality.

Quote:
So when "I" speak, you know it can't be anything other than "I" because "I" don't know if the "not-I" as in "Brahman" even has a voice beyond OM!
When you speak or not, it is always and only the Absolute or Brahman doing and BEING whatever appears here. All there is, is Brahman or god but the separate ego is not capable of understanding that and is very FRIGHTENED by such teachings and pointers which seem to ELIMINATE the ego.

Quote:
Yes, it is all semantics and why I left the path of Advaita Vedanta and embraced the path of Tantra fully after that. It was the next step in my spiritual evolution and the most logical route for me to take.
To each his own........