Thread: Suicide
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran65
You will get all kinds of answers to this question, depending on who you ask, and which perspective they are coming from. I'm Hindu, and in Hinduism we believe in karma. Suicide is not sanctioned in any religion, but this is something I've looked into pretty carefully.

My husband was terminally ill, and suffering at the end of his illness. He did kill himself near the end, mainly, I believe, to spare my son and I watching him deteriorate to a near vegetative state. So this is something, as I said, I have really looked into. In Hinduism, basically, from what I've found out, if you commit suicide, any karma you worked off in this life will just be voided. Meaning, if you did any good deeds to work off past bad deeds, they don't count. You don't gain "horrible scars" on your soul, you don't incur more suffering on future lives, etc.

And, I'm sorry, that makes so much more sense to me than anything else! If you commit suicide, you do so because you see no other alternative! It means you were desperate, you were suffering in such a horrible way that the only alternative to you was to end your life. You should not have something else heaped upon you. I think this is the most sensible, and humane, answer. I can't believe any reasonable God would want any more suffering to be added to any you might have had that would have made you want to end your life.

Thanks for sharing that interesting different view. Sorry to hear you and your family went through this.

This situation brings up an interesting point. Do those who suicide to try to do something good eg in this case to protect child and wife from having to go through more pain watching. Do others here think at all the consequences of doing it for that reason, be different to say doing it due to depression or not wanting to be here? Could there ever be some good in a suicide?

Do people here generally believe it also scars a soul who was about to die soon? so just bringing that event forward? Does a person only days from death from serious illness, still got lessons to probably learn? .. would suicide still be a very bad thing in that situation?