View Single Post
Old 22-01-2018, 03:46 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
what was your answer?
from my vantage point, "reality" exists as a personal experience.
the question put to you was asking you to assess whether there was
value in the idea of "reality"... do you appreciate yourself and your
experiences?
[i do not deduce his query to imply that "reality" is without value.]

I hadn't arrived at the question without thought anyway. My answer after a little contemplation was "Not really." It was there, I could rely on it, it endured, so I had to learn to manipulate it as necessary. I'd realised people didn't experience it as I did, that our perceptions were unique and we had created signs that let us refer to a phenomenon when directing others' attention to something - usually words.

Another thought I had that relates to one of Starman's comments, was that reality was a mass of signs. We give meanings to them, many are predefined but some need us to create meanings. If we can't we may be unable to give the whole a meaning. If we can't derive meaning from many sets of signs is that because the environment is remote from our previous experience, or that we're attempting to project a meaning deriving from some drive within us onto the signs the two being incongruous.

So, does reality come down to meanings or merely the recognition of signs? Perhaps both. If action/interaction is expected, meanings would seem paramount.