View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Yes, I just noticed. Please forgive my seeming negligence. I should get the habit of looking at the PM notifier at the top, something I'm lacking. It's been fairly chaotic and I really should be organising work over these days, not being here!

Well, believe or not, I'm suspicious of missionaries! Their aim is to convert rather than point to signposts on the paths to help someone find their own way!
My parents tell me about the 1960s when people were encouraged to "drop out" (I think the term was) and young as they were, they suddenly found themselves without the means to survive too easily (down here in three-D, LOL). Not quite the same but when you read here of some of the problems this faith causes you wonder who's going to be left out on a limb.

Only a few people were born with incomplete souls.
Interesting comparison. And in a way indeed similar. I'm assuming you're talking about school. I'm not sure if we had the same thing over here back then. But think of the changes in society this tendency must have instigated! Dire needed changes. People had been in a rut of doing the right thing and prim and proper for yonks and the 60s were so important to steer things in another direction. The direction of the individual as opposed to following in the footsteps of parents without questioning if that was the right choice for you. Following rules of society and church without the freedom to think if their convictions matched yours.
I believe youngsters and/or schools are the best for stirring up societal, large scale changes. Because people are concerned about their offspring. No one listens to adults complaining at the work floor. No one gives a sh**. But when it comes to our kids... Then everyone gets concerned and starts to think "What can we do to change this? How can we get them interesting in studying again?"
They try to get them back into the existing mould only to find out it doesn't work. In the end the mould gets adjusted to suit the youngsters. That's how we get change, and growth.

So if in the 60s you suddenly had large groups of young adults without a means to make a proper living. Yes, that must have stirred up things real good! I'm certain it brought about a lot of change for the better (in the long run).