View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 05:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
I do not think Gem was implying that our sexual biology hold no influence on the psychological formulation of gender identity at all. For instance, the much higher level of testosterone in men would certainly attribute to certain types of masculine behavior across all cultures and vice versa with higher levels of estrogen in women (of course there is certainly more to it than that). However, what seems to be suggested by the OP is simply that the more intricate and complex nature of gender identity is a bit more nuance and multi-dimensional than that of biology alone. In terms of the psychosomatic perspective, everything is interconnected of course, but there is always much more complexity when it comes to the psychological make up of our minds particularly as it relates to gender identity. This topic also reminds me of someone I knew who is intersex. While many of them do choose to adhere to either one of the binary genders (male or female), some also choose to to identify as both genders or non gender as well such as the person that I met at work a few years ago who was very open and candid about sharing their experiences with me. They accept their body with both the secondary masculine and feminine traits and do not feel necessary to adhere to the binary norm in body or mind.

I did not think Gem was implying that either. I was just asking a question and sharing my perspective, as you are now doing.

Happy trails.