View Single Post
Old 17-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
The Latin word paganus means 'of the country', and was used as a derogatory term by early Christians to refer to rural peoples who still widely practiced Greco-Roman religious cults. As such, it became a synonym for non-Christian religions. In the 20th century a revival of 'pagan' religions grew up, and the word was reclaimed. Nowadays, it's considered appropriate to only call people pagans if they identify as one (hence, it's not necessarily a good idea to call Buddhists or Sikhs pagan), or as a shorthand for the nebulous, variable religions of the late Greco-Roman world, and pre-Christian European traditions. For instance, Emperor Julius Caesar was a 'pagan', not because he dwelt in the country, but because he worshiped Roman gods. A Celt living in Ireland pre-conversion can be called 'pagan' because there's no word for the religions he may have practiced.

I have no idea whether I'm being clear Forgive me if I'm not explaining it well.
ty, i appreciate your being more specific, the trouble is that the term is used by many in many ways, however not everyone means the same thing by it, so i just wanted to ask is all, to know what YOU meant
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi