View Single Post
Old 17-09-2018, 03:40 AM
Experiencer

I have seen some training videos where life-long phobias were cleared in minutes. Also EFT is currently gaining acceptance treating soldiers for PTSD.

Here is what the US NIH study on veterans says:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5499602/
Quote:

Results
Most practitioners (63%) reported that even complex PTSD can be remediated in 10 or fewer EFT sessions. Some 65% of practitioners found that more than 60% of PTSD clients are fully rehabilitated, and 89% stated that less than 10% of clients make little or no progress. Practitioners combined EFT with a wide variety of other approaches, especially cognitive therapy. Practitioner responses, evidence from the literature, and the results of a meta-analysis were aggregated into a proposed clinical guideline.

Conclusion

We recommend a stepped care model, with 5 EFT therapy sessions for subclinical PTSD and 10 sessions for clinical PTSD, in addition to group therapy, online self-help resources, and social support. Clients who fail to respond should be referred for appropriate further care.
EFT works sometimes for me. I find it very useful for taking layers off the pain when I am in a crisis. In theory the EFT folks say just keep doing that and eventually things will get better. Sometimes that is true but other cases require different tools in addition. So while I found EFT helpful sometimes I needed a lot of other things such as neurofeedback and EMDR. EFT 9-gamut procedure also uses EMDR techniques.

The reason why I think it did not work for a lot of issues is they were not simple trauma but what I had was complex developmental and PTSD trauma. It affected my identity and is by it's nature very hard to treat because any attempt to change the system triggered a systemic self preservation response. The survival circuits get hijacked by the patterns locked between the higher and lower brain functions. So many may avoid EFT due to an overwhelming unconscious fear and would require a different approach. Or they think it does work at all for them. Which is partially correct.

The other interesting phenomena about EFT I have noticed is that after tapping the clearing is so complete that there is sort of an amnesia effect. After tapping you need to remind people of the amount of distress they felt just moments before the tapping. So when people say it does not work they may benefit more than they realize.

When treating yourself I think you need to tap about 2-4x longer than you would think would be enough in order to really be effective. The self-treatment requires self-awareness, persistence, and skill in uncovering emotional issues, and some ability to detach enough to do the tapping process.