Thread: Freedom.
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven
The 'shackle' could be universal of course such as having the freedom to make ones own decisions and choices in life. That's pretty basic, but I think shackles are unique to each individual depending on the degree of freedom (not defined yet) one has already experienced in life. For me shackles are living in fear of future unknowns. It's that mode of thinking that restricts me in relaxing and being at peace with myself in the moment.

Indeed, as age comes upon us the social options available are reduced, and the uncertainty inherent to life can be disconcerting. I'm sure there is a simple guruic answer, but over time I have found that ideals that seem like answers are one step removed from the lived reality, for future thoughts are also part of what survives us, but this doesn't distract from the more pertinent case that this moment is the one which determines the future, just as past moments led here to 'this', so if there is freedom, it is made here.

I was thinking of freedom in two ways. The 'freedom from' and the 'freedom to': The freedom from whatever might be bondage, and the freedom to act - with increased possibility, options or choices - but now I'm also considering a third freedom: the freedom with, where things may be free to be just as they are.