View Single Post
Old 14-04-2024, 12:41 PM
Master
Friendships are deeper than acquaintances. I would say one of the key differences is you can spend fulfilling free time with a friend, free of judgement, but not an acquaintance. You're more on your guard with an acquaintance, not showing your true colours.

I think friendships are fine as long as there is respect for the other's freedom. A friend who demands or expects frequent contact is not really a friend. Friends can not have contact for months or years and then, when they meet again, continue where they left. Otherwise you are imprisoning that other person. With a friend you can have a better time than with an acquaintance so I disagree with OP on that. A friendship also doesn't mean you develop a severe attachment or can't let go.

I also agree with Gem that fear of sorrow is not wholesome. Like I mentioned, I lost my dog but it would never cross my mind to say oh I should never have bonded in the first place nor would I say the sorrow would mean I'd never get a dog again. I have heard some people say such things but I find it a bit disrespectful towards all the treasured experiences. You don't delete your best playthrough!