View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Experiencer

WE NEED TO HAVE a HOLISTIC APPROACH TOWARDS SPIRITUALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

My response to that other thread in question, was based on a few things. Firstly, I have spent some time as a Gaudiya Vaishnava at ISKCON before becoming a Shaivite and my heart really had no say in the matter whatsoever.

Secondly, my response wasn't based as much around the socio-economic platform, as much as it was around the historical, cultural and tribal geographical platform.

For you see, the Aryans from the North were mainly Vaishnavas, while the Dravidians from the South were mostly Shaivite going back to the times predating the Chola Empire

The reason why there is such a similarly between Shaiva Siddhanta and Tamil Vaishnavism, is because around the 11th and 12th Centuries AD, Vishishtadvaita became popular, with personages like Ramanuja and Sambandhar, borrowing ideas off each other.

So, although the Aryans settled in the North, the Dravidians in the South, there was some intermixing and interbreeding...tribal Gods and customs became more widespread...and yet, the North became the general political and administrative centre for the whole of the subcontinent of Bharat...and they were of the Brahmin caste, who were descendents of the Vishnu worshiping Aryans.

Shaivism was pretty much relegated to being the "religion of the 'untouchables" and also to the Sikh minority of the time... while all of the law makers and the white collar people were Vaishnava Brahmins...It is ALL political!

Who you decide to worship...who becomes your Ishta Dewata is based on your heart...who do you love the most? Who do you feel the strongest attraction towards? Let that be your guide...There is NO difference in the end...only preference.

Aum Namah Shivaya

What you are referring is about the evolutionary history of Vaishnism and Shivaism. The choice of worshiping Shiva or Krishna depends upon the mental and physical status of the person. Shiva absorbs the tamasic tendencies (eg ignorance, indolence, ) that are hurdle in spiritual progress, and cleanse body and mind for advancement. Worshiping Krishna leads one towards active spirituality.

However, one should not only stick to these modes of worship throughout all his life but take to the practice of yoga of truthfulness ( or any other out of 12), acquisition of knowledge and cultivation of virtues for further advancement. This is the holistic approach to spirituality. You were disappointed with ISKCON as they were unable to provide you this.