View Single Post
Old 30-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Master

This question of being a Christian Wiccan comes up every now and again and there are always two sides - those that say you can do as you wish and those that feel that being a Christian Wiccan is just impossible.

My first question would be why would a Christian want to be Wiccan. The explanation that's often given is that "Well, I believe in Jesus and that he's the son of God but I also love nature."

We know that Wicca and Christianity are two separate religions - Wiccans honour the deities of their particular tradition. It is a religion influenced by pre-Christian beliefs and practices of western Europe that affirms the existence of supernatural power (as in magic) and both male and female deities, and that emphasizes ritual observance of seasonal cycles. They do not honour the Christian god. And of course Christians honour the Christian god and Jesus. Christianity has some strict rules about what gods you can worship, which is pretty much the Christian god only. By the rules of Christianity it's a monotheistic religion while Wicca is polytheistic. This makes Wicca and Christianity two very distinct and different religion.

So by the very definition of the words, one could not be a Christian Wiccan any more than one could be a Hindu Muslim or a Jewish Mormon.

There are, however, Christians who practice magic and enjoy nature within a Christian framework but this does not make them Wiccan. I know there are people who say they are Christian Wiccans - you can call yourself whatever you want but it doesn't make it so.

There's also the problem of mixing the Christian pantheon with pagan and Wiccan pantheons, these are all strong energies/deities/entities/spirits (however you perceive them) and they do not necessarily all get along. If you start working and mixing them together you may end up with phenomena that you may find very difficult to handle. I have personally seen this happen.